Theory - MATOD Prescriber Training Course - South Australia
This activity is the first component of the South Australian, Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Dependence (MATOD) Prescriber Training Course.
The course will provide GPs with knowledge to effectively manage patients with opioid drug dependencies. This course will enable GPs to identify and assess patients, stabilise withdrawal and maintain support, while also ensuring that best practice and quality procedures are demonstrated.
The course has been developed by professionals who are currently in the drug and alcohol field. It provides support services for post-training needs, including the provision of ongoing professional development.
- After the online Theory component has been completed, the next step is completion of the Skill Development component at Drug and Alcohol Services South Australia (DASSA).
- This course is written for the South Australian setting; legislation will differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
- The course has been adapted from modules developed by the Chapter of Addiction Medicine of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in February 2018. It references the National Guidelines for Medication-Assisted Treatment of Opioid Dependence (2014). Although extracts from this document are included within the course, the document should be read in its entirety.
- Engage patients in a respectful and non-judgemental manner whilst identifying the importance of and limits to patient confidentiality.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment that includes a patient’s substance use related diagnoses and any medical, psychiatric or social problem.
- Establish the suitability of a range of treatment options, and in conjunction with the patient, plan ongoing management.
- Safely commence opioid pharmacotherapy and safely manage transfer between various pharmacotherapy treatments.
- Develop systems within their practice to ensure risks associated with providing MATOD are minimised including that DDU regulations are followed.
Please note: This course requires a modern web browser such as Google Chrome or equivalent.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Theory - MATOD Prescriber Training Course - South Australia|